IHeartYAFiction

A Touch Mortal
Leah Clifford
Antigoddess
Kendare Blake
Human Sexuality in a World of Diversity (case)
Spencer A. Rathus, Lois Fichner-Rathus, Jeffrey S. Nevid Ph.D.
Black City - Elizabeth  Richards Short and Sweet: Black City is essentially a vampire dystopian story, but runs a little deeper than most of it's kind. I really enjoyed the questions Black City poses about humanity throughout the story and the realistic struggles we see the characters endure.To Elaborate....Natalie and Ash meet one night under a bridge while he is 'dealing haze' (sinking his fangs into a human who wants a high from his Darkling venom). They both feel some spark in each other's presence, but in Ash's case he feels a bit more: a heartbeat for the first time in his life. He initially believes that he had imagined it, but each time he is near to her he feels the impossible: life where there was previously none. This aspect of the story: the 'why' and 'how' of this development is really intriguing! But I won't spoil it for you. ;)Black City is told in alternating points of view between Ash and Natalie. We see that from her end there is an unexplainable attraction as well as frustration with herself and him for what he is (a half-blood Darkling and part of a race that murdered her father) and what he does: deal 'drugs.' Also, a relationship between them is forbidden, illegal, and punishable by death. To complicate things further, Natalie is the daughter of the the Emissary, a cold and driven woman running awful experiments on Darklings. Naturally, Ash struggles with Natalie's identity as a result of her connection to her mother. There is definitely a 'star-crossed' aspect to their interest in one another.Black City is an interesting and complex story. The characters are put into situations where we see real conflicts that we can all connect to:What happens when we misjudge a person? Is breaking the rules always bad?Are those who are different from us dangerous/bad/undesirable?Black City painted an emotionally moving picture of a power-hungry, corrupt government, an oppressed and segregated group of citizens and what happens when a few ordinary people push back and stand up for what they believe in. Just really well done. :) I'm looking forward to the next book, Phoenix, due out next month! (Originally posted @ iheartyafiction.blogspot.com)